Saturday, June 21, 2014

June is Halfway Over


I can't believe you're gone from Rapid City. That is so crazy to me. I hope that everyone is okay with the move and having fun on the trip. I am totally jealous! I want to see all the church sites!  I hope that you're being safe drivers! (Weird thought - I haven't driven a car in almost a year. Waaaaah!) I can't wait to hear about Nauvoo and Carthage! 

I am doing so great! We've had some really wonderful experiences this week - I was reminded by the Lord that I need to do my best every day to live up to my potential as a missionary and a daughter of God. 

We had a zone conference on Tuesday where the focus was on Chapter 7 in Preach My Gospel, and we talked about how as far as speaking Danish goes, we are living below our potential - and it reminded me that I should be more diligent in not just the language, but obeying the rules and every aspect of missionary work because my Danish is always better when the Spirit is with me, and the Spirit is only with me if I'm choosing the right. 

A family in our ward sent us some pictures - Søster Hadley and I in the nursery.

It was so good for Sister Hadley and I - we were working all week on doing the small things, and it totally made big things happen! 

Last night, for example, we had 10 minutes left in the day so we went out contacting. We first talked to this African man at a bus stop, who happened to be very very strong in his faith and went on and on about how our salvation was at stake because we don't believe the right things (I'm really hoping I've never done that to anyone... I don't think I have! When we talk to people we try to have meaningful conversations, not bible bashes). 

It was probably not the most spectacular moment of the day, but because we talked with him, the timing was just right and we contacted a couple walking down the street who are expecting their first baby together! They were SO cute together. You could just tell that they had a lot of love for each other and were so excited to have a baby. We had a great conversation and gave them a Book of Mormon - they were really happy for it and they told us they would love to talk with us about the book after they read a little bit in it! It was the best way to finish the day. 

And today!!! We stopped by G to wish her a happy birthday (last week I told you that she kind of dropped us right? Well, she told us she didn't want to meet anymore because she's afraid she can't hold the standards), and she told us that last week she decided to try to stop drinking coffee!!! We haven't even invited her to live the word of wisdom yet - she just did it by herself. And she also told us that she wants to keep coming to church! So... apparently she hasn't really dropped us. I think she just doesn't want to feel too pressured by us, which of course we don't want to do.

We also did lots of service! We cleaned at P's, helped C move in more, helped set up and take down a primary activity, and worked in someone's garden. It was great! On Friday I met K for the first time - she's a woman from Poland who the sisters have been working with here in Frederiksberg for a while, but she was out of town for a month or so and just got back. K is wonderful! She has 3 boys - 2 of whom are identical twins. They are SO cute and the twins are really happy babies - they were smiling the entire time we were there.

Yesterday I conducted the music in church again! I think being the music conductor is my dream calling. It's fun standing up there because I can smile at the whole ward and practice everyone's names in my head - it's definitely helping me get to know the ward better! 

And after church we had a correlation meeting with our ward mission leader M - he's so funny! He went off on a rant about how fat America is, and he told Sister Hadley and I that if he gets wedding invitations from us in the future and we're fat in the pictures, he's going to throw them away. It sort of cut me to the heart, but it's good motivation to stay healthy! ;) 

Then we went on a walk in a Botanical Garden/a park by Rosenborg Castle with our investigator C from China. She's the sweetest lady, and when she found out I was born in June she got really excited because her birthday is in May and it means we're both Gemini.

There are so many good things happening! I feel more brave and have more fun talking to people on the trains and on the streets! And this week we have appointments with some new people, and another appointment with E. I'm so excited!

Us with the Assistants after ward council!  woo woo! :)

Today in personal study I was doing an activity from Chapter 7 in Preach My Gospel - I was writing down things about the Danish culture that might make it hard for someone to understand a principle of the gospel, and then how I can do a better job of explaining it so they can understand it more. I think that a big setback in the Danish culture is that when life is good, most people don't feel like they need God because they "have it good". So I looked for scriptures that show how much we need God and how everything around us is a testimony of His existence, and it hit me that even prophets in the scriptures had a hard time turning the hearts of the people when they "had it good." This is not a new phenomenon! It is the same pattern that runs through the entire Book of Mormon! Realizing that is very motivating because the prophets worked SO hard to warn and teach the people when they grew in pride - so I can work hard too! And as the Lord wills it and the peoples hearts are open, miracles will happen - there is no stopping the Lord's work.

I really can't believe June is halfway over! My favorite month of the year is almost gone. ;) It's wonderful to spend the summer here in Denmark because so far, it's been nice and sunny - but not too hot to handle!

I think I have to get going for now - we have had kind of a crazy preparation day because we ended up taking a full preparation day last week (I'll be sending pictures! We went to a medieval festival!) so in order to have time to go to the temple this Saturday, we have to take an essentials preparation day today. 

Life is very good and I'm loving it here.

Also, I might have to send you all the pictures next week because I forgot the camera cord at home!! Sorry! :O

I love you lots! Have a good road trip and tell everyone I love them! Be safe!!! I am praying for you all. I hope the Nauvoo temple was lovely! :)

Love,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment