Tuesday, October 15, 2013

I Love Aalborg!


I looooove Aalborg! And the ward is amazing. Yesterday was my first real Sunday since we had General Conference last Sunday - and it was really fun! I walked in feeling reeeeally nervous because the Bishop likes us to split up and sit with different members every week, and I was a little afraid to sit down next to someone I didn't know and try to engage in actual conversation with them! But it ended up being really nice and not scary at all. It was fast and testimony meeting so... guess who bore her testimony in Danish? This Sista! I think everyone at least thought it was endearing, or possibly super hilarious, to hear me try to speak Danish. There is a lot of love and support in our ward. A couple of people bore their testimonies about how important missionary work is, and I loved that!

On the street in Aalborg
Danish is going well! Ish! Everyone is really nice to me and tells me I'm doing really well, and it has opened up a lot of opportunities to talk with people! This is my favorite contacting technique: On buses or if we're sitting somewhere, I'll say something like "Hej! Må jeg øve min Dansk med dig? Jeg er helt ny til Danmark!" (Hi! May I practice my Danish with you? I am new to Denmark!). Then they ask me where I'm from and why I'm here, and I get to tell them I'm on a mission for my church! I'm not very good at bringing it back to a powerful gospel message yet, and I'm definitely not good at being brave enough to talk to everyone I see, but I am working on it and getting better! My companion, Sister Bishop is super supportive so I am always motivated to do better.

Speaking of Sister Bishop, she is falling apart! I think I told you about her back problems? Well, her back and her right leg have been in a lot of pain for the last three months, which means she has been favoring her left leg when she walks. And within the last few days her left foot started really hurting! We got it checked out, and she most likely has a stress fracture. ))):  So basically she can't walk. Which is a big bummer because it means we can't go out contacting or walk very far. But! Our ward mission leader is getting ward members to drive us to lessons this week, which will hopefully get the ward a lot more involved in our missionary work! So it's kind of a blessing in disguise. I love Sister Bishop though! She's so positive and optimistic about all of it. She works really hard.

Here are some of the really good things that happened this week! On Monday night after we had FHE with some of the ward's less actives, we stopped by the old apartment where Sister Bishop used to live (and where an older couple is goign to be living as of today!) and picked up an ukulele that they have there! It's cute and little and bright green. Then Sister Bishop felt like we needed to stop by the apartment of a couple in the ward who has been having a tough time. So we stopped by and sang You Are My Sunshine to them with the ukulele at the door! They invited us in and we had a really great conversation with them. Sister Bishop and I were both a little worried because it was close to the time we were supposed to be back at home for planning, but afterwards we talked about how we both felt like that was where we needed to be. Everyone needs to feel Christ a little more in their lives! And that's what missionaries are for!

On Tuesday Sister Bishop had to go to Copenhagen to take a language test (you have to take a language test before you´'ve been here 6 months to keep your visa) so I got to go on splits with one of the Sisters in Aarhus! They are opening the area so we spent the whole day contacting any less actives on the ward list. Unfortunately, we all forgot that the buses in Aarhus don't work with the same bus pass as in Aalborg! And we didn't have any bikes. So we walked. All. Day! It was super fun and we got a lot done! My feet were dying by the end though, because I didn't wear the best shoes for heavy walking.

We had Zone Training on Thursday so we went back to Aarhus!  Before the training we ate pastries at Langnæs - aka the best bakery in the whole wide world. I attached a picture. After I took it I realized that it looks a lot like the picture I took with Voodoo donuts, but Langnæs pastries are even more delicious than donuts! 

Pastries at Langnæs

The Training was REALLY good - it was all about following the Spirit. We learned that the best way to receive guidance from Heavenly Father is to follow the pattern in Moroni 10! 1. Remember how merciful God has been to you - really appreciate all He has done in your life. 2. Ask him questions with real intent. 3. Ponder the answers he gives you. 4. Act!!! I think that's the order it goes in. ;) 

After the training we went back to Aalborg to have an appointment with a new investigator! She is a friend of Mark's - Mark is a recently reactivated member who is really excited about doing missionary work, and has been giving us some great referrals and helping us teach! I love members!! Anyways, it was a really positive first lesson. We gave her a Book of Mormon and Mark told us that afterwards, she told him she's planning on reading even more than what we invited her to read! We're meeting with her again on Wednesday before basket (that's what they call basketball here, and they have it every Wednesday night at the church gym!). I'm really excited! 

That night I made omelets and hashbrowns for our dinner - I just wanted to tell you that because I'm really proud of myself for making a whole dinner! And all of it from scratch! And yes, I know that omelets are probably one of the easiest things ever to make, but hey. Step by step, right? :)

On Saturday Marie, one of the ward members, invited us over for a lunch appointment and to teach us how to make Danish applesauce. It was my first experience with a food appointment where the member tells you to eat and eat and eat. I HAVE to start eating slower, because I would finish one sandwich and she would tell me to make another! So I ended up eating three whole sandwiches. For one lunch. It was super delicious! But I thought my stomach would explode afterwards! And now I know how to make super delicious applesauce from scratch, and how to make my favorite dessert I told you about last week (the applesauce with really good crumbly stuff in it and whipped cream on top).

So that has been my second week in Denmark! I'm telling you, time flies. TODAY IS MY 2 MONTH MARK ALREADY, whaaaaa? Sister Bishop just had her 6 month mark last week and she was freaking out about how fast it has gone. I just love it here. I love being able to share my testimony with people and (hopefully) change lives! 

Søster Bishop and and I in our new scarves and jackets - isn't it so great and European and stylish? woohoo!  We have no idea why we are so awkward and crammed into the doorway.

That reminds me - on Friday night we had a lesson with Jens and Jane (with Jan and Else, a couple from the ward - they are who made the first Danish meal I ever had!) finishing up the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Our lessons with them tend to get off topic because everyone loves to talk and share experiences, which means that I usually have no idea what's going on! 

At one point I thought everyone was talking about how we receive answers for prayers, because that's something Jane is working on understanding. I chimed in with something I felt really prompted to say. It was a really great, spiritual lesson and Sister Bishop and I felt really good about it! But... afterwards she told me what I said was completely out of nowhere and really random! I was SUPER embarrassed (because really, how funny and awkward would that be to have someone randomly bring up something that is completely irrelevant to the conversation at hand?) but then Sister Bishop said that the conversation had started with answers to prayers and then gotten really off topic, so what I said brought it back in focus. So, it was awkward and embarrassing, but at least I know that when I spoke up I was completely following the Spirit in knowing what to say! Har har har!

Have a dejligt week!  (I forgot to take a picture of our little bathroom!  I'll try to remember for next week)

Love,
Hannah


1 comment:

  1. WOW !! What exciting experiences !! Grandma liked the idea of having to take a language test or have to leave.. Of course, in this country you have to have a visa to lose. ( grandma's quote ) We are soooo proud of you Hannah !!! You are a choice young woman, and we are proud to be called your Grandpa and Grandma.. Love ya.. Grandpa and Grandma "B"

    ReplyDelete