Monday, October 21, 2013

Week In Review


So! Here's my week in review!

Tuesday was a very exciting day. I got mail!  I got a letter from a friend! Celebration! I also got letters from Dad and Mom with sweet notes inside from Emily and John! It's so exciting to get mail. I feel so loved! :) Plus I think it's really sweet how John always ends his notes to me with "I love you dearly." He is the best brother ever!

min kammerat and I and the shopping cart
We took a bus to a member's house for a lunch appointment and... got off at the wrong stop/didn't really know where we were. That was really unfortunate because since Sister Bishop has a stress fracture, she can't walk very far distances! But miracle of miracles, we found a grocery cart on the side of the road. And yes, I did push Sister Bishop around in that grocery cart until we found the member's house! It was the funniest thing ever. We got SO many strange looks and people laughing at us. But it got the job done and we made it to our eating appointment

We were on the bus on our way to another appointment that day, and the woman sitting next to Sister Bishop asked us to pray for her! She said she is having a tough time and knew that we could help her. Sister Bishop asked her to write down her name so we would remember, and she gave us her number and address as well! How cool is that? We have been praying for her all week and we called her yesterday and she said everything has been going a lot better. She was really busy so we have to call her again at a better time, but we're going to set up an appointment with her and hopefully it goes really well!

A really cute house downtown Aalborg
On Wednesday we had a miracle appointment with a new investigator and her less active husband. They came to the open house we had before one of the sessions of General Conference and said they would be interested in meeting with us. When we got to the appointment, we could tell that they're both really excited about coming back to church! (PS sorry I'm not really using names - I don't want to put peoples' names all over the internet!) The wife's first question to us was "How does one become baptized?" Sister Bishop and I thought: Uhhh, we can most DEFINITELY tell you how to be baptized! So that was ama-za-zing. 

After the appointment we went to the church building to play basket with some of our investigators and the members. As we were bussing there I realized: I'm terrible at basketball anyways, and I'm about to play it with people who speak Danish! So I'm doubly not going to know what's going on!! It ended up being really fun though, and I even made a basket! Go me! The members were really excited we came, because apparently Sister Missionaries don't come that often. We're definitely about to change that though. ;)

A typical Aalborg street with bikes parked along the side.
On Thursday we had our district meeting! And I forgot to tell you that our new Ægtepar (married couple) missionaries got here this week! Ældste and Søster Middlemas. They're very enthusiastic and sweet. They came to the meeting as well, and there was kind of an awkward moment between the two Ægtepars (we have two senior couples in our district) because they started comparing/trying to one-up mission success stories and stuff. Awko taco! 

That night we had an appointment and brought the Ægtepar with us. It was a bit of a disaster! The investigators are Muslim and they agreed to meet with us more to discuss our different faiths than because they are interested in the gospel, which was really cool, but there was a lot of contention in the room and it went a lottttt longer than it should have.

A pretty church near our apartment.
We had another couple of apointments/stop bys that we went to with the Middlemases the next day, Friday, and they were a lot more positive. Ældste Middlemas met one of the women he taught when he served a mission here 45 years ago, how cool is that? I think it helped the Middlemases get excited about missionary work - they have been so stressed out about the transition from the US to Denmark!



Sunday was just great! I love the ward so much! I'm a lot more comfortable talking with them and I think I'm even starting to make some friends! :) I like Sundays because I can kind of measure how much more Danish I have learned through the week by how much I can understand during Sacrament and Sunday School. And it's getting better all the time! I talked to a member about making an appointment with them all by myself. Woo!

Anywho, it has been great. The work is going onward and the ward is really excited about missionary work. I got to meet the young women this Sunday and it was crazy to me to think that a little over a year ago, I was right where they were. They're really amazing girls - it's really hard to be a member of the church here because NO ONE else is, and most people aren't even religious. So they have to be really strong and I look up to them a lot!

That reminds me - during the lesson, their teacher played a song about Christ and showed pictures of Christ from his birth to his death! I thought it was such a sweet thing to do, and it really made me think about Christ and what He has done for me!

It's hard but it's worth it! I love you all so much. Sorry if this blog post is a little weird or confusing!

Love,
Hannah

ps - more pictures:

Our tiny bathroom (this photo makes it look bigger than it is)
 the showerhead in one corner, the toilet in the other corner.


me in my new rainboots!



A REALLY pretty field we saw while walking to an appointment.
Near the pretty church

Same field different view.



1 comment:

  1. I love the story of you talking to the lady on the bus who asked you to pray for her. How sweet! You made a basket! I love how they call it basket instead of basketball. That's cute. Perhaps we failed to inherit a good basketball playing gene. Or maybe we're just too short in this family to excell at that sport. Maybe you'll come back from Denmark a real pro.

    ReplyDelete