Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A Day in the Life at the MTC



We are counting down from THIRTEEN DAYS, people. Thirteen days 'til I ship off to Danmark! My companions and I are SO excited.

So my mom asked about what my schedule is like in the MTC and I thought it would be fun to explain a typical day in the MTC! (have I written about this before? I can't remember. If I have, sorry! Now you'll be MTC pros!)

On a normal day, we wake up at 6:30. Haha ok that's every day! 

Then we have an hour of exercise, an hour or two of personal study, and breakfast. 

After breakfast, we have 3 hours of class with one of our teachers, then either an hour of TALL time (that's basically on-line language study) or additional study (when we can write letters, catch up on study, or watch Mormon Messages. I kid you not, I think I've seen every "I'm a Mormon" video out there!). 

Then we spiser frokost (eat lunch), and it's back to class for another 3 hours. 

We have about an hour and a half of language study before dinner, then after dinner we either have additional study, TALL time, or other studious stuff that I can't remember at the moment. 

Then it's time to plan, and head back to the residence hall and go to sleep!

Søster Grant's Aunt sent us cupcakes from Cocoa Bean!
Every day is great, but Sundays and Tuesdays are super great because it's the Sabbath and P-day! On Sunday, we have breakfast at 7, then study time until Relief Society at 10. Relief Society is really great here because all of the sisters in the MTC meet together and really inspirational women speak to us. After Relief Society we have lunch, more study time, then Sacrament meeting. Every week we prepare a 3 to 5 minute talk on an assigned topic and then during Sacrament they randomly choose one Elder and one Sister to speak! It's kind of stressful but exciting. After Sacrament we have a District Meeting, and then (my favorite part of the day) we go walk around the temple. We finish up the day with an hour-long devotional and then a church movie of your choice. It's almost as exciting as going to the movies with your friends on a Friday night! ...almost. ;)

On P-Days my companions and I have started waking up at 4:30 to get laundry, e-mailing, and our cleaning service done before breakfast. It's kind of fun to be up before almost anyone else in the MTC, plus it gives us a lot more time to nap later.



A story about cleaning: Today during service we got to use these super awesome backpack vacuums to vacuum the entryway rugs outside a building - they look like the yellow guys in Monsters Inc! We kept saying "23-19! We have a 23-19!" (isn't that what they say whenever a monster is contaminated with human clothes?)

We have a 23-19!
Then we nap. Ahhhh, next to reading e-mails from home, going to the temple, and going to the devotional, it's the best part of the day. Once we wake up, we do personal/companion study, go to the temple, and then go to the devotional!

So that was probably boring and way too detailed, but that has been my life for the last four weeks! It's great. But I'm glad it won't be this way my whole mission; I can't wait to walk and bike around. And talk to lots of people!

Funny story of the week: Up until this week, I have basically been wearing a sweater every day. I don't know why, but I barely packed any shirts that I could wear without a sweater! I didn't really think anything of it, and I definitely didn't think anyone else noticed. But when I got a package from heaven (thanks Mom!) of cute shirts to wear without sweaters, alllllll of the Danish Elders said something like "Oh, Sister Barrett, you're not wearing a sweater!" or "Sister Barrett, I thought you were hiding a weird birthmark or deformity on your arm." It was hilarious. And embarrassing. But mostly hilarious! :)

Søster Hale, Søster Barrett - without a sweater!, and Søster Grant
Anyways, it has been a great week and I'm looking forward to another one! The church is true. I know it more and more every day. I'm so grateful for Jesus Christ and His Atonement, because I make mistakes all the time. But oh, how good it feels to be forgiven! (After I typed that I laughed because it sounds really cheesy and churchy. But it's true!)

Adios, hej hej, goodbye!






No comments:

Post a Comment