Monday, December 30, 2013

A Hyggeligt Juleaften

(this week's letter from Hannah is a little harder to use as a blog post.  Usually she separates family news from blog news, you know?  I think I'll just post up the whole thing and you can read it all...)



Being able to talk to the amazing Barrett familie on Christmas with skype was AMA-ZA-ZING! Thank you for that. :) And I'm so grateful we got to spend so much time together! I'm grateful for a stinkin' awesome Mission President who has mercy on us poor missionaries and let us take the time that we need. Thanks for not crying, too! If you had cried, I would've cried for sure. ;)


I know that being able to skype you on Christmas made my whole week! Month! Year!! Everyone was so happy and I just felt so loved! Thanks for being so supportive of me and also for being missionaries yourselves! You're awesome!!!

We had some really great miracles on the 24th and 25th.  We had an appointment with Henrik and Inga - Henrik is less active and Inga is investigating the church.  Inga told us she knows the Book of Mormon is true.  She told us she knows she wants to be baptized, she's just not sure when.

They both opened up to us about how Christmas is kind of sad for them because they miss their kids and Henrik's mom died around this time 2 years ago. It was so good to read Luke 2 with them and feel the peace and comfort of the Savior. 

That night we had a really hyggeligt Juleaften with the Klitgaards and the Christiansens.  They are both really cute couples, and they have the sweetest daughters who are all really good friends! Søster Nuttall and I danced around the house with them to Christmas music before dinner, and after dinner we all held hands around the Christmas tree and sang songs! They even gave us really sweet gifts - a handmade Christmas tree decoration, homemade pajama pants, and scarves. it was so sweet!! It was just a really great evening. 

(hyggeligt Juleaften = cozy Christmas Eve.  While googling that, I found that you can search Instagram to see photos tagged as hyggeligt, and the photos were, in fact, cozy! - more about hygge at the end)

On the 25th we went to follow up with a man that Søster Bishop and Søster Hadley contacted, and he told us to come back again the next day. He asked for a Frelsesplan pamphlet because he wants to read it and see how he feels about it. 

We met a lot of new people and really enjoyed the spirit of Christmas and sharing it with others. Then we went to Henrik and Inga's again to skype, and it was so fun to share that with them! Mom, Henrik said I look like you, which I thought was pretty dang awesome! :)

Thank you for the awesome gifts! The bag is perfect. I can fit everything in it! I look like a real sister missionary now, too. ;) And Søster Nuttall and I have been using our scripture study guides, they are aaaaawesome! It's a really great way to organize thoughts, and I have been needing a better study journal lately! You are an inspired gift giver. :D

I will write to you next year! ;) Love you lots!



ps - I just sent the big email but I forgot a fun fun story! Yesterday was Søster Nuttalls birthday. The ward planned a surprise party for her after church!! It was awesome, and then at the end they cinnamon'd her. Apparently it's a tradition that if you turn 25 and are single, you get cinnamon dumped on you! And if you make it to 30 single, it's pepper... so... better get married! I'm going to try to send the pictures that Elder Crank sent to me of it - I hope it works!  (it didn't work.  The photos didn't come through for me.)

pps - This computer is really slow sorry!! There is a very stinky man at the computer next to me. He kind of looks like that one muppet who has a big mustache and no mouth. Is that a real muppet? Am I making it up? Either way, it's funny!!

ppps - While googling hyggeligt Juleaften I found this on Wikipedia, and I thought you might like it:  "One of the fundamental aspects of Danish culture is "hygge", a concept closely related to "coziness"; relaxing with good friends or loved ones, often while enjoying good food and something to drink or creating a more friendly atmosphere by lighting a few candles. Christmas time, when loved ones sit close together on a cold rainy night, is a true moment of hygge." 

pppps - I posted a few more photos of the Skype chat at my blog: Rapid Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment